Huggi/Khara Pongal is similar to Khichdi. In huggi no veggies are used, just moongdal, jeera and pepper corns. This is served as prasadam during Dhanurmasa in temples. Huggi/Khara Pongal with gojju is an excellent combination for breakfast and good for lunch box too.
Health Benefits of Moong Dal:
- Yellow gram like other lentils and pulses are good source of protein and dietary fibre.
- They are low in fat and rich in B complex vitamins, calcium and potassium
- It is free from the heaviness and tendency to flatulence, which is associated with other pulses.
- Cooked yellow gram is a very digestive food for invalid and sick persons. Its regular use during childhood, pregnancy and lactation helps one to get the required nutrition and promote health. The soup or khichdi made from it is the best article of diet after recovery from acute illness.
Rice: 1 cup
Moong Dal: 3/4 cup
Jeera: 1 tsp
Pepper corns: 6 - 7
Red Chillies: 2 - 3
Cashews: 6 - 7
Curry Leaves: 1 Strand
Salt to taste
Ghee/Oil: 1 tbsp
Dry Copra: 2 tbsp grated
Turmeric: 1 tsp
Water: 4 cups
1. Crush Pepper and Jeera roughly till pepper breaks down into 2 pieces.
2. Heat ghee in pressure pan, add mustard seeds , when it starts spluttering add asafoetida, curry leaves, pepper jeera crushed powder, turmeric, cashews, red chillies and fry for a minute.
3. Add washed rice, moong dal, water, salt and grated copra. Mix well.
4. Close the pressure cooker and cook till done, about 3 whistles. Allow it cool.
Very lovely lunch box . At office kept in mw served to my friends hot. everyone liked it. Atlast i had only 2 spoons. My friend too thanked u.
Well came after preparation thanks for easy lunch pack. My husband and kids liked too. Bye
At the very outset i should thank for giving good web site so that my wifes job has been reduced by thinking what to prepare and on what proportion to add and cook. Now she is able to do by looking in2 ur site. V r recently married couple. Todays lunch box was very nice. thanks a lot
Lovely recipe …