Upma or uppitu made from rava/sooji is a popular south indian breakfast. We get bored with the usual upma, a variation with a little spicy by adding sambar powder and vegetables in it will make it tasty. Masala upma is the best breakfast because you get to add more of veggies like onion, carrot, beans, cabbage, peas, potatoes, tomatoes, capsicum etc.
Medium Rava/Sooji: 1 cup
Onion: 1 chopped finely
Mixed Vegetables: 1 cup (Beans, Carrot, Cabbage, Peas, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Capsicum)
Water: 2 Cups
Mustard Seeds: 1/2 tsp
Methi Seeds: 1/4 tsp
Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
Sambar powder: 1/2 tbsp
Red chillies: 2/3
Asafoetida: a pinch
Oil: 2 tbsp
Ghee: 1/2 tbsp
Ginger: 1/2 inch chopped finely
Curry Leaves: 1 strand
Jeera Seeds: 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander Leaves: chopped finely a handful
Grated coconut: 1 - 2 tbsp
Sugar: 1/2 tsp
Channa dal: 1/2 tsp
Urad dal: 1/2 tsp
1. Roast rava in a medium flame till you get good aroma.
2. Heat oil in frying pan, add mustard seeds. When it starts spluttering add channa dal and urad dal. Fry till it turns brown in colour. Add red chillies, curry leaves, methi seeds, turmeric and fry for 1 minute.
3. Add chopped onions fry till it turns transparent or soft.
4. Add chopped vegetables and add little water, close the lid and boil it turns soft.
5. Add the remaining water and bring it boil. Add ghee, salt, sambar powder and sugar. Mix well.
6. Reduce the flame, add rava and mix well so that no lumps are formed.
7. Cover the lid and cook for 5 minutes on a low flame.
8. Add grated coconut, coriander leaves and mix well.
Serve hot Masala upma/uppitu for breakfast.
Its so perfect. It well for my lunch box. by adding curds it
gave additional taste. very nice thankx
yumm this sounds too good.