Upma or uppitu made from rava/sooji is a popular south indian breakfast. Spring Onion upma needs very few veggies and is good for breakfast.
Medium Rava/Sooji: 1 cup
Spring Onion: 1 cup chopped finely
Onion: 1/2 cup chopped finely
Tomato: 1/4 cup chopped finely
Green chillies: 2 cut lengthwise
Water: 2 Cups
Mustard Seeds: 1/2 tsp
Methi Seeds: 1/4 tsp
Channa dal: 1/2 tsp
Urad dal: 1/2 tsp
Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida: a pinch
Oil: 2 tbsp
Ghee: 1/2 tbsp
Curry Leaves: 1 strand
Jeera Seeds: 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander Leaves: chopped finely a handful
Grated coconut: 1 - 2 tbsp
Sugar: 1/2 tsp
1. Roast rava in a medium flame till you get good aroma.
oil in frying pan, add mustard seeds. When it starts spluttering add
channa dal and urad dal. Fry till it turns brown in colour. Add green
chillies, curry leaves, methi seeds, turmeric and fry for 1 minute.
3. Add chopped onions,spring onions, tomatoes fry till it turns transparent or soft.
4. Add 2 cups of water and bring it boil. Add ghee, salt and sugar. Mix well.
5. Reduce the flame, add rava and mix well so that no lumps are formed.
6. Cover the lid and cook for 5 minutes on a low flame.
7. Add grated coconut, coriander leaves and mix well.
Serve hot Spring Onion upma/uppitu for breakfast.
Sending this recipe to Herbs and Flowers - Spring Onion and PJs announcement page
Very yummy and delicious upma..Thanks for sending it to the event.