Uppittu/upma is a common household breakfast in karnataka. A quick recipe no doubt...Here i have used Akki tari instead of usual wheat rava/sujee. The taste of Akki Tari Uppittu with any peas is an excellent combination. Akki Tari is coarsely grinded rice nothing but Rice Rava. Here i have used Togarikalu/Green Pigeon Peas with Akki Tari to prepare uppittu.
1. Akki Tari/Rice Rava - 2 cup
2. Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
3. Togarikalu/Green Pigeon Peas - 1 cup
4. Green chillies - 5-6 nos.
5. Mustard - 1/4 tsp
6. Ghee - 1tbsp
7. Curry leaves - 2 - 2 strands
8. Salt to taste
9. urad dal, channa dal, jeera, pepper - all 1/4 tsp fried and powdered.
10. Asafoetida: a pinch
1. Heat Ghee a thick bottomed kadai, add mustard seeds. When it starts spluttering add Green chillies, powered urad dal, channa dal, jeera, pepper, fry for few seconds and add Togarikalu/Green Pigeon Pea, grated coconut, Akki Tari/Rice Rava, salt to taste, curry leaves and Asafoetida. Again fry for few seconds.
2. Now add water (4 cups). Stir well and close the lid and cook on a medium flame. Akki Tari takes little more time to get cooked than sujee.
3. Once its cooked add 1 tsp of ghee and serve hot.
PS: Rice Rava/Akki Tari is available in stores or you can prepare it at home too. Fry the required quantity of rice on a low flame till its warm, cool it and grind coarsely.
|Tags: Rice Rava, Akki Tari, Rava, Upma, Uppittu, Akki Tari Uppittu, Togarikalu/Green Pigeon Peas, Togarikalu, Green Pigeon Peas, breakfast, karnataka|