Rava idli is one of the best breakfast recipes. Rava idlis hardly need any preparation unlike usual idlis where the batter needs to be fermented and need some preparation work. Fine rava is lightly roasted brought together with a mixture of curd, coconut, coriander leaves, cashewnuts and veggies like carrot or peas. This batter needs to be fermented for 30 mins and its ready to be steamed. It is ideal for lunch box or evening snacks.
Got this recipe from my co-sister Kavitha prasad.
Fine sooji : 1 cup
Thick curd : 1 cup
Water: 1/4 cup
mustard seeds: 1 tsp
channa dal: 1 tbsp
ginger: 1 inch grated
green chilies, finely chopped: 2
curry leaves : 2 finely chopped
big pinch soda
carrots grated : 2
fresh coriander leaves : 3 tbsp
grated fresh coconut : 2 tbsp
salt to taste
roasted cashewnuts: 2 tbsp (optional)
1. Roast sooji till a nice aroma comes out.
2. Heat oil and add mustard seeds. When they start popping, add ginger, green chilies, chana daal and fry for sometime. Switch off the heat and immediately add sooji, mix well.
3. Add salt, cashew, carrot, coriander leaves, coconut, curd and mix well. Leave it for around 30mins.
4. Finally add soda and mix the batter.
5. Grease an idli stand. Pour the rava batter over the greased idli plates and Steam for around 10 mins. Switch off the flame. Let it cool for 5 mins.
Serve rava idli with pudina chutney.