Toor Dal: 1 cup
Grated Coconut : 1 cup
Green Chillies: 10-12 (You can also use Red chillies instead of green chillies - 7-8)
Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
Grated Jaggery: 1 tsp
Curry Leaves: 1 strand
Tamarind juice: 2 tbsp
Ghee: 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
1. Soak Toor dal (togari bele) for 3 hours. Drain the water, Grind green chillies and soaked dal coarsely.
2. Add coconut, salt, Asafoetida to the paste and mix well as shown in the picture.
Heat oil in the kadai on a medium flame. Add mustard seeds when it
starts spluttering add the above mixture and just keep frying for 5 mins, you will get a good aroma, cool it for few seconds.
Keep aside 1/4 of the mixture, with the remaining now make small lemon sized balls. Steam the balls/Unde's in the pressure cooker for 15 mins. Sandige/Unde's are ready. (You can also taste these unde's which are very tasty)
5. Now take the mixture which is reserved aside, grind it to a very fine paste and then add a glass of water.
6. Heat ghee in the kadai add mustard seeds when it
starts spluttering add the above grind mixture (Step 5), tumeric powder, Tamarind juice, salt to taste, jaggery, curry leaves bring it to boil.
7. Now slowly drop the Sandige/Unde to the gravy, Simmer the flame and cook for 5 - 10
mins. Sandige huli/Unde Huli is ready to serve.
Serve Sandige huli/Unde Huli with hot rice and ghee.