Pigeon pea is one of the important pulses in India. The ripe dry seeds are boiled and eaten as a pulse. In India these are
split into dal. The dried husks, seeds and broken dal are used as
cattle feed in India. Green Pigeon Peas are called Togarikalu in Kannada. Dantina Soppu with togarikalu is an excellent combination for sambar and goes well with hot rice.
Sambar can be prepared with any
vegetable but certain combination of veggies gives an excellent
taste. Kadalekalu badanekayi huli/ Black Channa with Brinjal Sambar,
Huli/Cowpeas with pumpkin Sambar, Hesarukalu Moolangi Huli/Greengram
Radish Sambar, Mixed Kalu/Grams with Potato Sambar tastes great.
Health Benefits of Pigeon Pea:
- Pigeon Pea cures cough,
poisoning effect, gas troubles, acidity, stomach pain and piles. It
makes a balanced human food, quells swelling of internal organs and with
water it cures intoxicating effects.
- Pigeon Pea is rich is potassium, phosphorus, magnesium and calcium.
- Pigeon Pea has good amount of Vitamin A, Niacin and small amount of
thiamin, riboflavin, Vitamin B6, folate and pantothenic acid.
Here goes the easy recipe of Dantina Soppu with togarikalu
Dantina soppu / Red spinach / Amarnath Leaves - 2 bunches finely chopped
Coconut - 2 tbsp
Asafoetida - 1tsp
Toor dal - 3/4 cup
Togarikalu/Pigeon Peas - 3/4 cup
Tamarind juice - 2 or 3 tbsp
Sambar powder - 2 tbsp
Rasam powder - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste - 1 tbsp
Curry Leaves - 1 strand
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Methi Seeds - 1 tsp
Jaggery(powdered) - 1 tsp
1. Grind coconut, sambar powder, rasam powder with little water to a fine paste.
2. Put Dantina soppu, toor dal, togarikalu all together in a bowl and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
4. On cooling down add the grinded paste from step 1, tamarind juice, jaggery and salt to taste.
5. Finally prepare the seasoning, take a griddle add 1 tsp oil add mustard seeds, when it splutters add
methi seeds, small pieces of red chillies, curry leaves. Then switch off
the flame and put this seasoning to the dal mixture and mix well. Boil
for a few mins.
Serve delicious Dantina Soppu Togarikalu sambar with hot rice.