Delicious Heerekayi kootu is a delicious side dish for rice . It is easy to make and very tasty too.
Tur dal : 1 cup
Greengram: 2 spoons
Tomatoes: 2 nos
Methi seeds: 1/4 tbsp
Heerikayi /Ridge gourd: 2 cups of small sized pieces
Coriander seeds: 3 spoons
Urad dal : 2 spoons
Chakki: 1 inch
Dry coconut: 1/4 cup
Dry Red Chillies: 4 - 5 nos.
Curry leaves: 1 bunch
Oil: 1 tbsp
Sasive: 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Tamarind juice : 1 tbsp
1. Pressure cook Tur dal, greengram dal , methiseeds and tomatoes. You can also add heerekayi to this or you can cook heerikayi separately in a vessel .
2. When the pressure is released , mash the dal mixture and add the cooked heerekayi.
3. Dry roast Coriander seeds, chakki, urad dal, dry red chillies, dy copra separately and grind to a powder.
4. Add this dry powder to step 2 and bring it to boil.
5. Add tamarind juice and salt to taste.
6. Make oggarane with sasive, asafoetida and curry leaves.
7. Add to step 5 and bring well. Serve with steaming rice.
|Tags: Heerikayi sambar kootu|