Hayagreeva is a very common sweet dish made in most Madhwa temples, especially in Rayara Matta's and Sonda Mutt. It is very easy to prepare and here comes the recipe ...
Serves : 6 people
Preparation time : 45 mins
- 1 and 1/2 cup Kadale Bele or Channa dal
- 1 and 3/4 cup grated jaggery
- 5-6 kesari or saffron strands dissolved in water.
- Raisins and cashews as much as you want.
- 2 tsp Ghasgase or Khus Khus
- 1 tbsp chopped dry coconut/copra
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1 tbsp Powdered Sugar candy/Kallu Sakkare/misri
Hayagriva is ready to serve.
- In 3 tsp ghee fry channa dal until brown.
- Put water until all the dal is covered and pressure cook for 7 whistles.
- Once the pressure is down, strain all the water from the channa dal.
- Transfer this into a pan, and now add jaggery and cook in low heat.
- Add the kesari also.
- In another pan, add the remaining ghee.
- Fry the raisins, cashews, khus khus, cloves and chopped dry copra.
- Transfer this to the cooked channa dal.
- Cover and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Before you serve add powdered Sugar candy/Kallu Sakkare/misri to it and mix well.