Ragi or Finger Millet is rich in protein and calcium. Ragi Halbai is very easy to prepare and is also very tasty. Ragi Halbai needs very few ingredients ragi and jaggery. A sweet which can be prepared without ghee and coconut. Try this easy version of Halwa/Halbai.
Finest ragi flour is required for this recipe. Follow the below steps/pictures for getting the finest ragi flour.
- Strain usual ragi flour through a clean muslin cloth (white thin dhoti). Make use of this finest flour for the halwa preparation. For 2 cups of ragi flour you get one flour of finest flour.
Finest Ragi flour : 1 cup
Powdered Jaggery/Grated Jaggery : 1 cup
Water: 5 cups
Grated dry copra : 2 tsp
Poppy Seeds : 1 tsp
Cardamom powder : 1/4 tsp
Ghee : 1 tbsp (optional)
1. Take a thick bottomed pan, mix 5 cups of water to the finest Ragi flour and bring it to boil in a medium-low flame.
2. Keep on stirring as it should not form lumps.
3. After 10 mins add jaggery, keep stirring for 20 more mins or till it thickens and make sure it does not stick to the bottom of the bowl. To enchance the taste you can also add a spoon of ghee while stirring in between.
4. Grease a plate with a little ghee and pour the above mix to the greased plate. Flatten it with the back of a spatula. Allow it to cool.
5. On cooling sprinkle poppy seeds, cardamom powder and grated dry copra. Cut it into pieces of different shape. One can keep it in the refrigerator and can be consumed chilled which will taste really yummy.
|Tags: ragi halwa finger millet|