Sweet Pongal/Sakkare Pongal is prepared on Sankaranthi/Pongal festival day. Its main ingredient is jaggery rich in Iron and therefore is a healthy but heavy food.
Preparation Time: 45 mins
Servings: 5 people
1. Moongdal - 1/2 cup
2. Rice - 1 cup
3. Milk - 2 cups
4. Cashews - A handful
5. Raisins - A handful
6. Chopped Jaggery - 1 and 3/4 cup
7. Cardamom - 8
8. Pure ghee -1/2 cup
9. Grated Copra - 1/4 cup
10. Kesari - 8 strands
1. Wash and drain water from rice and fry it in pure ghee . Also fry
Moong Dal in pure ghee separately.
2. Cook fried moong dal and rice in the cooker by adding 3 cups of water and 1 cup of milk.
3. Place a kadai little of ghee so that it is sufficient to fry cashews and raisins. When heated fry cashews and raisins in it till done.
4. Transfer cooked rice and Moongdal mix to fried dry fruits mix. Also add jaggery, 1 cup of milk and add remaining ghee in between. Bring it boil so that jaggery should get melted well. Also add Kesari strands, grated copra, powdered cardamom. Mix well.
Your sweet pongal is ready to serve.
Sending this recipes to Cooking with Seeds - Moong Beans