Hurali or horsegram is a very healthy bean which is rich in protein, has a unique flavor. Hurali saaru tastes awesome and is my all time favorite rasam. I learnt this recipe from my mom. In this recipe pressure cooked horsegram is drained and the water is reserved to prepare rasam or curry called Basida Saru or Bassaru. Try this awesome recipe of saaru and palya.
Horsegram: 1 cup
Greengram: 1/4 cup
Grated coconut: 2 tbsp
Tomato: 1 big sized
Sambar powder: 2 - 3 tbsp
onion: 1 big zsized
Gasgase or Khus Khus: 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves: chopped 1 tbsp
Groundnuts: 2 tbsp
Seasoning for palya:
1tsp Bengal gram dal
1tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
Few Curry Leaves
2 green chillies
1 onion finely chopped
1 tbsp oil
Procedure for Saaru/Rasam:
1. Soak Horsegram for 8 hours or overnight and greengram for 2 hours.
2. Mix both the grams, ground nut and Pressure cook them with water for 3 - 4 whistles. Allow it to cool.
3. Drain the grams and keep aside. Reserve the water to prepare a rasam called Basida Saru or Bassaru.
4. Saute the chopped onions for few minutes. Grind onion, a handful of boiled gram (horsegram+greengram), gasgase, sambar powder, coriander leaves, tomato and coconut to fine paste.
5. Add this ground masala to the reserved water from step 3. Add salt and mix well. If required you can add some more water. Bring it to boil.
5. Prepare the seasoning with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Garnish with corinader leaves.
Serve hot with rice and enjoy !!!!
Procedure for Palya:
1. Heat oil in kadai, add mustard seeds. When it starts spluttering add bengal gram dal, urad dal, green chillies, curry leaves, asafoetida and onion. Fry for few minutes.
2. Now add the cooked horsegram and green gram mixture.
3. Add grated coconut and mixwell.
4. add salt and lemon juice and mix well.
5. Garnish with coriander leaves. serve this with with rice or chapati or jolada roti.
|Tags: hurali saaru bassaru palya horsegram|