Rajma Masala / Red Kidney Beans Curry is one of the best North Indian recipes. A very popular and authentic punjabi gravy made with red kidney beans. The best of Rajma are available in Jammu in India.
1. Rajma (red kidney beans) - 1 cup
2. Onion - 2
3. Tomato - 2
4. Green chilli - 2
5. Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
6. Kasoori methi - 1 tsp
7. Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
8. Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp
9. Coriander seeds powder (Dhaniya powder) - 2 tsp
10. Cream/ evaporated milk 2- 3 tbsp
11. Salt as needed
1. Soak Rajma (overnight) and drain the water. Pressure cook for 3 - 4 whistles, with enough water to immerse the rajma completely. Do not overcook rajma. Once done, reserve the water.
2. Chop onions and tomatoes finely. In a kadai/ pan, heat oil and season with cinnamon, elachi, cloves and bay leaf. Add the chopped onion. Fry till transparent.
3. Add ginger garlic paste and give it a fry for a minute or two. Add chopped tomatoes, slit green chillies. Mix well.
4. Add salt, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and dhaniya powder. Cook in medium flame for 4-5 minutes until the raw smell goes away. Add kasoori methi crushed in between your hands.
5. Add the cooked rajama and cook in medium flame for 5 minutes. Add the reserved water (if required) and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
6. Mix well, And lastly add cream or evaporated milk and mix well. Just heat it for a minute. Do not let it boil. Switch off the flame.
Goes best with jeera rice , Puri/Palak Puri or roti too............
|Tags: Rajma Masala, Red Kidney Bean Masala, Punjabi Rajma Masala|