Amla/Indian gooseberry/Nellikayi is a sour and tangy fruit known for its medicinal qualities. It is rich in Vitamin C , and known to prevent premature hair-fall. Amla Rice is easy to prepare and is very tasty.
Amla: 4 - 5 grated
Grated Coconut: 2 - 3 tbsp
Green Chillies: 2
Cumin /Jeera Seeds: 2 tbsp
Onion - 1 chopped finely
Rice - 1 cup
For Seasoning: 2tsp
peanuts, 1tsp whole cashews (optional), 1tsp channa dal, 1tsp urad dal, 1/2 tsp
mustard and cumin seeds, a few curry leaves, 1 red chillies and some chopped cilantro
for the garnish.
1. Wash rice and add 2 cups of water and boil in pressure cooker. Meanwhile get the other steps done.
2. Grind grated Amla, cumin seeds, green chillies and coconut to fine paste.
3. Heat a wide shallow skillet. Add 2 tsp oil, add mustard and cumin, cover it till the splattering subsides. Put peanuts and toss on medium heat till its golden brown. Add channa dal, urad dal, red chillies and curry leaves and cover
cooked for just a minute watching it carefully on medium heat. Move it
onto a plate and set aside. Add Onions and saute till transparent.
4. Add Amla paste from step 2 and saute till the water content disappear.
5. Add cooked cooled rice and mix well with paste. Add salt to taste.
Your delicious Amla rice is ready.
Never thought of using Amla to make rice, just 2 days back got some amla from Indian shop, thinking I will make pacchadi, now I have decided what I want to do :), thanks for sharing