Raw Banana is called Balekayi in Kannada. They are referred to as "potatoes of the Caribbean" since they resemble in flavor. Raw Banana Palya/Sabzi is very easy to prepare and requires very less time. Grated Raw Banana Palya is very delicious and goes well with chapati.
Learnt this recipe from my mom and when i tried it out it was so good and delicious, I had to go get raw bananas and prepare again. Try this easy recipe of grated raw banana palya ..
How to select
Ensure that the colour of the banana is green,
is firm to hold and not ripe. Check that the skin is free from blemishes
and is smooth.
- It is a good source of potassium and
vitamins like A and C. Potassium helps reduce risk of blood pressure and
is also beneficial for our brains and kidneys.
- It is high in carbohydrates and thus an energy booster.
- It is also high in dietary fiber.
Raw Bananas: 2 nos.
Urad Dal: 1/2 tbsp (Need to add more for seasoning)
Bengalgram Dal: 1/2 tbsp (Need to add more for seasoning)
Curry Leaves: 1 strand
Oil: 1 and 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric: 1 tsp
Green chillies: 2 slit lengthwise
Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
Jeera Seeds: 1 tsp
Grated Coconut: 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves for garnishing
Lemon juice: 1 tsp
1. Bring the raw bananas to boil. Wait and watch till it turns black. Green skin color should change to black color.
2. Switch off the flame and remove the skin and grate the raw bananas.
4. Heat oil in kadai, add mustard seeds, when it starts spluttering add jeera, urad dal, bengalgram dal, curry leaves, green chillies, asafoetida and turmeric. Reduce the flame, fry till urad dal turns brown in color. Add grated coconut and mix well.
5. Make sure you add grated coconut to the seasoning and then add grated raw bananas from step 2. Mix well with seasoning and add salt. Fry for 5 mins. Switch off the flame and squeeze in the lemon juice. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve Raw Banana Palya/Sabzi with Chapati.
Sending this recipe to
Veggie/Fruit A Month – RAW BANANA or PLANTAIN