Mangalore Soute Kai Huli a common traditional sambar/huli prepared for for weddings and festive meals. A traditional dish from the famed Mangalore-Udupi region.
1. Toor dal - 1 cup
2. Coriander seeds - 1/4 cup
3. Methi seeds - 2 tea spoons
4. Jeera - 1/4 teaspoon
5. Red chillies - 1/4 teaspoon
6. curry leaves
7. Hing a pinch
8. Coconut (fresh)(grated)
9. Salt to taste
10. Tamarind (1 or two teaspoons of pulp )
11. Ghee : 1 to 2 tea spoon.
1. Cook dal in pressure cooker and keep it aside.
2. Cut Cucumber into small pieces with skin, as it tastes better, then boil separately.
3. Soak tamarind in hot water so that you get the pulp quickly and easily.
4. Roast methi, coriander seeds, chillies and jeera one by one without oil.
5. Add curry leaves and coconut. When roasted items are cool grind together with little water.
6. Take a bowl add cooked dal, boiled soutekai, tamarind pulp and salt. Cook for few minutes, add pinch of turmeric powder and grinded masala and a pinch of hing.
7. Let it boil for 5 minutes.
8. It is optional to add coriander leaves. Add a spoon of ghee. Serve with rice or chapatis.
|Tags: Mangalore Soute Kai Huli, Mangalore Soute Kaayi Huli, mangalore special|