We usually prepare Ridge Gourd Sambar, Ridge Gourd Palya/Sabzi and throw away the skin. Instead try this mouth watering chutney from Ridge Gourd skin. Most of the vitamins are found in the skin of the vegetables. If the ridge skin is soft and tender, just try this chutney.
Peeled skin Ridge Gourd/Heerekayi - 1 cup chopped
Urad dal: 2 tbsp
Grated coconut: 2 tbsp
Curry leaves: 1 strand
Tamarind juice: 1 tbsp
Jaggery: 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Green chillies: 2 medium sized
Oil: 1 tsp
1. Wash the ridge gourd skin and drain the water.
2. In a kadai add 1/4 tsp oil fry urad dal till it turns golden brown. Add grated coconut and fry for a min. Transfer this to a plate.
3. Same kadai add 1/4 tsp oil add green chillies and ridge gourd skin fry for 5 - 8 mins until done. Mix it with step 2 ingredients and allow it to cool.
4. Add tamarind juice, jaggery, asafoetida and salt. Grind to a paste.
5. Prepare seasoning with mustard seeds and curry leaves, mix well with the chutney paste.
Ridge Gourd/Heerekayi chutney goes well with rice and also chapati.
very nice to have along with rice by adding oil to it ha lovely. thankx for remaing this with out wasting the
vegetable u had showed us the dish.
very tasty i took this for my lunch box for my office my
friends liked and grabbed the whole of it ultimately for me