Brahmi is a creeper and is called Ondelaga in Kannada, Timare in tulu and Brahmi in english. You can easily identify this slender, long stemmed creeping plant and its small, kidney shaped (reniform) lobed, green leaves as well as its pinkish red or white flowers. The plant has no taste or smell. It grows well in moist soil conditions.
Brahmi chutney is very easy to prepare, just like any other simple chutneys. Get this herb and try our this chutney.
- The herb comprises rich amount of vitamin B1 (thiamin), vitamin B2 (riboflavin) vitamin B3 (niacin) and vitamin B6 (pyridoxine).
- This will help you to convert carbohydrates into glucose as well as to improve the functioning of your nervous system. It has also good amount of vitamin K.
- It has an excellent source of minerals i.e. calcium, magnesium, sodium, manganese and zinc.
- It is a tonic and has ability to tone up your muscular tissues.
- It improves hemoglobin percentage, RBC, serum cholesterol and blood sugar in your blood.
- It activates fast growth of your hair, skin and even nails.
- It is identified as an excellent brain and nerve stimulant.
- It is believed that this herb improves brain function and the mental ability as well as improves memory and learning performance. You are able to overcome easily all your negative effects related with fatigue and stress.
- The herb has potentials to improve I.Q. among children.
- It is also recommended for mentally retarded children.
Got the above medicinal info from the site: http://healthmad.com/nutrition/health-benefits-of-gotu-kola-brahmi-or-vallarai/
3 tbsp Grated coconut
25-30 leaves of fresh brahmi(ondelaga soppu)
2-4 sticks of fresh cilantro
2-3 green chillies
2-4 tsp channa dal (kadale poppu/putani)
1tsp fresh tamarind/1/4 tsp tamarind paste
1 tsp jaggery
For the tempering:
1 tsp oil
Few curry leaves finely chopped
1 tsp ural dhal
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
Salt to taste.
Asafoetida a pinch
1. In a blender, add brahmi leaves, cilantro, green chilies, tamarind, putani channa dhal and salt. Grind them all together with a little water, to a slightly coarse and thick consistency.
2. Prepare the seasoning with mustard seeds, curry leaves and ural dhal. Sprinkle some powdered asafoetida.
Tastes great with dosa, idli, chapathi and rotis. Enjoy!
|Tags: chutney brahmi ondelaga|