Brahmi is a creeper and is called Ondelaga in Kannada, Timare in tulu and Brahmi in english. I have already posted recipes for Brahmi Tambuli and simple brahmi chutney. Get this herb today and try this version of tasty chutney.
The herb comprises rich amount of vitamin B1 (thiamin), vitamin B2
(riboflavin) vitamin B3 (niacin) and vitamin B6 (pyridoxine).
will help you to convert carbohydrates into glucose as well as to
improve the functioning of your nervous system. It has also good amount
of vitamin K.
- It has an excellent source of minerals i.e. calcium, magnesium, sodium, manganese and zinc.
- It is a tonic and has ability to tone up your muscular tissues.
- It improves hemoglobin percentage, RBC, serum cholesterol and blood sugar in your blood.
- It activates fast growth of your hair, skin and even nails.
- It is identified as an excellent brain and nerve stimulant.
It is believed that this herb improves brain function and the mental
ability as well as improves memory and learning performance. You are
able to overcome easily all your negative effects related with fatigue
- The herb has potentials to improve I.Q. among children.
- It is also recommended for mentally retarded children.
Got the above medicinal info from the site: http://healthmad.com/nutrition/health-benefits-of-gotu-kola-brahmi-or-vallarai/
3 tbsp Grated coconut
25-30 leaves of fresh brahmi(ondelaga soppu)
2-4 sticks of fresh cilantro
2-3 red chillies
2 tbsp urad dal
2 tbsp bengal gram
2 strands curry leaves
1tsp fresh tamarind/1/4 tsp tamarind paste
1 tsp jaggery
salt to taste
For the tempering:
1 tsp oil
Few curry leaves finely chopped
1 tsp ural dhal
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
Salt to taste.
Asafoetida a pinch
1. Fry urad dal, bengal gram with little oil till you get good aroma. Add red chillies, curry leaves, brahmi leaves and fry for few minutes. Add grated coconut to it and fry for a min. Allow it to cool
In a blender, add step 1 ingredients, tamarind, jaggery, cilantro and salt to taste. Grind them all together with a little
water, to a slightly coarse and thick consistency.
2. Prepare the seasoning with mustard seeds, curry leaves and ural dhal. Sprinkle some powdered asafoetida.
Tastes great with dosa, idli, chapathi and rotis. Enjoy!