Raw Banana is called Balekayi in Kannada. They are referred to as "potatoes of the Caribbean" since they resemble in flavor. Raw Banana Patties is easy to prepare and very tasty too. We usually prepare patties and cutlets from aloo, spinach, oats. But raw banana patties is something different yet very tasty.
How to select
Ensure that the colour of the banana is green,
is firm to hold and not ripe. Check that the skin is free from blemishes
and is smooth.
- It is a good source of potassium and
vitamins like A and C. Potassium helps reduce risk of blood pressure and
is also beneficial for our brains and kidneys.
- It is high in carbohydrates and thus an energy booster.
- It is also high in dietary fiber.
Bengal gram or Channa Dal: 1 cup
Raw Banana: 2
Garam Masala : 1 tsp
Green chillies: 1 chopped finely
Chilli Powder : 2 tsp
Jeera Powder: 1 tsp
Coriander Powder : 1 tsp
Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Coriander Leaves: Finely chopped a handful
Bread Crumbs or Medium Rava or Rusk powder: For dusting the patties
1. Pressure cook channa dal for 4 - 5 whistles. Allow it to cool down.
2. Grind pressure cooked channa dal to fine paste and Transfer this to mixing bowl.
3. Bring the raw bananas to boil. Wait and watch till it turns black. Green skin color should change to black color.
4. Switch off the flame and remove the skin and grate the raw bananas.
5. Mix Grated raw banana, step 2 channa dal paste, garam masala, red chilli powder, green chillies, jeera powder, coriander powder, lemon juice and salt to taste. If required you can add 1 tbsp rice flour.
6. Make patties and dip them in rava or bread crumbs.
7. Place a griddle on the flame. On heating simmer the flame and place the dusted patties add oil and cook
on medium flame till the bottom turns light brown. Flip and fry the
other side by adding cooking oil on the sides of it. Fry till it turns
light brown. Enjoy with Tomato sauce.
Sending this recipe to
Veggie/Fruit A Month � RAW BANANA or PLANTAIN