Posted On: Thursday, January 5, 2012 This page has been viewed 26734 times
Sakkare Achchu - Step by Step Video Procedure
Sakkare achchu meaning sugar figures in various shapes, a Traditional
Sankranti recipe. Ellu-bella and sakkare achchu are prepared for
Sankranti festival and its distributed to all relatives, neighbours and
friends. We have also presented a step by step procedure video, my MIL explains in the video here with her simple words in Kannada.
1. Sugar - 1 kg
2. Milk - 2 tbsp
3. Curds - 1 tbsp
4. Lemon - 1 no.
5. Wooden Moulds - Different shapes of your choice.
1. Soak Sugar with water Just before 1 hour to prepare. Add water upto the level of sugar (Make sure not to add more water, as it becomes too syrupy...)
2. Dissolve sugar and bring it to boil, add 1 tbsp of milk, boil for 1- 2 minutes, you can notice bubbles, immediately filter the solution with a muslin cloth.
3. Boil the filtered solution for few seconds and add 1 tbsp of curds, and repeat the same as step 2.
4. Lastly boil the filtered solution and add milk as per step 2 and you get final filtered solution. Adding milk, curds and filtering with muslin cloths helps to remove the impurities and also gives a good white color.
5. The Wooden Moulds needs to be soaked in water for 1/2 hour before starting. Clean with a white cloth so that water gets dried. moulds must be damp so that the figurines loosen up easily when they are ready to be removed. Moulds are two wooden slabs with various shaped carved into them, each half a mirror reflection of the other.
6. Now take a smaller bowl (thick bottomed vessel), take 2 laddle full of filtered sugar solution and bring to boil, stirring continuously.
7. You will notice the solution getting thicker, add 2 drops of lemon juice, stir well, meanwhile keep the moulds ready by tightly tying together the matching pairs with rubber bands.
8. Just when the sugar solution reaches the right consistency (looks thicker like curds) pour the solution to the moulds.
8. Cool it for few seconds and carefully take the achchu/figure from the moulds.
9. Repeat with the remaining solution.
10. You can prepare different shapes and size using different moulds.
Tags: sakkare achchu recipe, achchu, sakkare achchu, Sankranthi, Sankranthi special